Placement of Your Emperor Gong
Hanging your Woodstock Emperor Gong for the Best Musical Performance
Woodstock Chimes are known the world over. Our gongs are designed to produce beautiful music from even the slightest breeze, but if you’d like to hear yours more often, here are a few ideas:
- Hang your gong directly from the loop at the top of the gong. Don’t extend the top string of the gong by adding chain or string. This may cause the entire gong to swing, when in fact only the center string and clapper should move.
- Hang your gong where the wind can reach it from as many directions as possible. An open corner is ideal when hanging the gong from a building.
- Experiment with hanging your gong at different heights. Wind velocity tends to increase with higher elevation.
- Avoid hanging your gong within two feet of a wall or too close to plants, furniture and anything that might obstruct or divert the breeze. If you have a screened-in porch, you may find that even the screens will impede the breeze enough to prevent your gong from ringing.
- Try hanging your gong in different locations during different times of the year. The prevailing winds change seasonally.
Adjusting your Emperor Gong
- Make sure the wood piece directly above the gong is level. To adjust this piece, hold the gong and pull up on the side of the wood that is lower until the entire piece is parallel with the ground.
- The clapper should be equi-distant from the right and left edges of the gong. To adjust this, raise the upper wood piece on its string, turn it slightly to the right or left and lower it back down on the knot. Keep adjusting until the clapper falls in the center of the gong.
We sincerely hope you enjoy your Woodstock Emperor Gong for many years to come.
And please give us a call if you have any questions — we’re always listening.